Saturday, April 4, 2020

Suspended in Quarantine ... still



Sunset from our deck last week!


I don't know if you can see this - but yesterday, the St George lighthouse looked like it was levitating!!  Make the photo larger - look on the horizon about 3/4 across from the left side.  That lighthouse can look closer, farther, bigger, smaller and now flying!!!  Always entertaining to spot it's shenanigans!

My DS and his family is living in Central America, DDIL teaches for the American School there.  Quarantine in the United States and Quarantine in a Martial Law country are quite different!!

We have suggestions and they have strictly enforced rules.   No children outside.  Women can be out for 1 hour if shopping MWF.  Men out for 1 hour if shopping TTS.  No one can be out on Sundays!  They have 3 children  9, 7, and 3!  That's a lot of energy in a 12th floor apartment!!  But they are doing fine.  And have less chance of contracting the virus than we have.

I had big plans for my free time this month!  I was going to finish an UFO each week!  Clean the sewing room - again!  Walk and exercise every day ... And, well, insert your favorite unreachable goal here!

I joined Edyta's Mystery, and then there were calls for face masks!  So, I'm out of elastic; and 8 1/2 blocks behind on the mystery!  My sports loving husband tells me he's watching football games all weekend(?)  Apparently they are showing old championships ... since it's due to start raining again this weekend, at least reliving the victories will keep him busy.

Last week I was up early one day and he was watching Sports Center.  I kid you not ... they were doing the play by play of 2 Labradors eating!  DH was rooting for the Yellow Lab??  LOL!

Face masks:  The call went out and I opened up the stash and cut an 8 inch pile of 9 x 6.5 cottons.  Went to meet someone with QOVs to have quilted and pick up some group-ordered elastic.  We were early, and the gal asked if I had any masks ready.  Yes, I did!  I got them out of the car and she took them ALL!! Okay - that's sub-contracting at it's best!!

Then I picked up elastic for 30 masks and 60 fabrics that were scissor cut by our HS Leadership group. OYE!  They were every size!  Instead of putting them together, and sizing them way down,  I cut 60 9 x 6.5 of my light fabrics and sized each pair as big as I could.  33 masks were done, then I got a little more elastic and made 10 more.  I'm out again - and I'm taking it as a sign I should sew other things ... see list!

Jenny Doan has a good tutorial on Missouri Stars.  I adjusted it, of course, from hearing different ideas.  I cut the fabrics 9 x 6.5 because that's the size of my ruler.  I cut a twist tie, from the produce section of the grocery store, in half and zig-zag stitched it in the middle along the top seam allowance for mask.  It has just enough staying power to hug the bridge of your nose and keep your glasses from fogging over!!

I don't top stitch all the way around until I have my pleats in place.  I iron my pleats down after pinning, before sewing.


 

By the way, our little guild made over 400 masks in a week!!  Whoo-hoo!

We've binge watched NewsRoom on HBO, all three seasons.
We finished watching The Kominsky Method on Netflix, both seasons.
Got Yellowstone series from Netflix DVDs, awaiting the last disk for Season One.
What do you recommend?

I have also been reading. Thank goodness I was able to pick up 7 books at the library before they had to close.

My favorites have been:
The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg
The Lost Man by Jane Harper
Atomic Habits by James Clear
The Last Child by John Hart

Stay Safe and QUILT ON!


2 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

Hello from Omaha, love your masks hang in there. We are well here. Love your book choices. Currently listening to the Omaha Symphony. Watching OZARK on
Netflix and been getting my DVD's out. lots of cross stitching for me.

---"Love" said...

I've made one face mask, but I cut the elastic too short, so I'll have to fix that before I can wear it. No big deal; I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Must be nice to wake up to such beautiful sunrises in such a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing the pictures. ---"Love"