Saturday, April 11, 2020

April - the month suspended in time

The feeling around here reminds me of "Chicago's" famous song "Does anyone really know what time it is?"  What time, what day, what month??? Its all blurring.

Yesterday's picture puzzles reveals:

 

And Today's photos

 


I had a 'terrible, horrible, no good very bad day'.  I hate bias tape and I'm convinced it hates me!!  There is an elastic shortage because of all the makers making medical masks.  Time to go to bias tape to continue production.

I even bought the Clover 1/2" bias tape maker.  I think I got a lemon!!  It did not work like it used to!  Or maybe it's me that doesn't work like I used to!  I spent hours this week, trying to get a usable piece of bias tape.  I told you part of that yesterday.  Bias tape in the bobbin area!?!

But I had orders for 12 masks for my DD and DSIL's work staff.  I love them dearly, and I don't mind making masks.  But learning something new (or not) and a time line just drives me crazy!!  Add to Week 'I've lost count' in self-quarantine ... well, I can't dwell on that!

I finally cut 2 inch bias strips and ironed the edges in by hand.  Caution - watch out for the steam!!  The box went to the post office today - will go out tomorrow.  Our PO isn't open on Saturday, so if I missed the deadline today, it wouldn't go out until Monday - that doesn't work!

I took the picture.  I packed them, and when I was at the PO I remembered I'd only tied the ends of the strips on one mask!  Luckily (?) there was a line and I stood there and tied all the strips I could get to.  Um, DD you have to finish tying the knots - love ya!!




I've been having fun raiding my stash for fabrics!  Two different fabrics in each, and you can use either side out!  Washable, a twist tie zig-zag stitched into top seam allowance to shape the mask around your nose - so you don't fog up your glasses!

Lots of sports today - because the work staff are men - but my favorites are the sharks, Mickey Mouse, and the Dr Who fabric!

I've got to share the fun txt conversation I had with DD / DSIL - I sent them a picture of fabric choices.  DSIL originally wanted all Avenger fabric masks.

ME:  Your choices?
DD: Mickey for me!
DSIL:  Same for me!
ME:  What about the crew? sports, cars, guitars, sharks, fish, dog treats??
DD:  The sports balls may be cute
DSIL:  Yes, fish, dog treats, guitars for sure.  I didn't see any baseballs!  I choose baseballs.  And the 7 dwarfs if I am allowed 2.  Oh, and Mickey!  Too many choices!! Ahhhh!
Me:  We got baseballs.  You know I loaded all my superhero fabric into a basket for a raffle just last month.  You have NOT perfect timing!  There are 2 sides, I'll add Harry Potter fabric for the kids.  No, you don't get to pick both sides!
DD:  Wait!?!  Harry Potter???  I want Harry Potter!
ME:  Whine, whine!  I also have NYC taxi!
DD:  I want taxi!
ME:  Good thing you are so cute! (this is what she says when you request something she is NOT going to permit!!)
DD:  smiley faces with angel halos
ME:  Too late - it's not believable!  Gotta go make masks!

They are cute with good sense of humor!  Who can say "No!"

After I got back from my one outing to the PO, I started on my daily X/+ block.  It went like the rest of the day!!  Just wrong #Alldaylong!  I was timing myself - 15 minutes - if you don't count that I had to rip the block apart and resew!!  Anyone playing along ... try to include just ONE directional block if possible.  Elvis it facing the wrong way.  I don't want him upside down, so, I had to rip the columns apart.  Then take the corners completely off, because the + is also directional.  And I have a subtle little plan.  To have the fabrics that are alike to go in the X.  So the orange fabric is upper right / lower left.  While muttering I ripped this whole block out while watching TV after dinner.  I'll show you tomorrow!

I'd really like to say that this won't happen again ... but we know it will!  Sigh!


Stay Safe and QUILT ON!


1 comment:

Norece said...

I have three of the fabrics you are using in you X block. Such fun fabric in your face masks. Thanks got the post