Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Tuesday? Yep - it's Tuesday!

Today is our 3rd grandchild's birthday.  9!  We called to sing Happy Birthday to and when we were done singing we heard movement and "I can't turn this off!"  So birthday GK is way too busy to talk to us!!  Yep, that's 9!!  Warning that teen years are a-coming!!  Tee-hee!

Yesterday's photo answers were:  bird footprints; dog footprints and a pile of starfish on a rock.  There were no "result photos".

Here are today's photos:

 New!  

 

And two repeats!  But the kids live apart - got to double up sometimes!!


I was wondering what to use for a leader/ender projects with the Plus/X blocks: I cut fabric for a Road to Oklahoma quilt.  I wrote up a block raffle for this at one of our retreats by Lincoln and Omaha guilds.  We met at a 4H camp between our two towns.  Of course, we all went shopping at the other town's favorite quilt shops on our way to and from retreat.  Good grief!  That was a long time ago, but I still remember the fun and laughter we enjoyed.  And racing Miss D to get some finishes!

 

I had some square paper plates in the cupboard - perfect for keeping the pieces in one place.  My fear is that I will get confused and mix up my scrappy project with my other scrappy project - you see what I mean.  Thanks to the internet I found a drawing of the Rd to OK blocks together.


And here is a scrappy Road to Oklahoma.


The block is 1/4 of the star block.  It has 2 4-patches and 2 blue star points corners.  Pretty easy to chain stitch.  We had a good group of blocks turned in at that retreat, but sadly, I didn't win.  I always vowed I'd make my own!  I still had the handout!! And 15(?) years later ... I've started it!!


Here's my Plus / X block from yesterday and today.  They are getting a wee bit wild, I think I need to calm them down a little.  Someone told me years (and years) ago  that every quilt needs men's boxer shorts!!  Calm blocks to set off the stars!  This project may need long underwear!!


 

I used some of the face mask fabrics! Corners  from my charm bin!


I love the blues in this block, and who doesn't love bicycles, ruby red slippers and flocks of birdies??

When I shortened up the name "Road to Oklahoma" above to "Rd to OK".  Boy, that twanged my heart.  That's what we are all dealing with  - finding the road to OK.  Life feels so suspended during quarantine.  The news is all over the place:  it's getting better, it's getting worse, we're going to reopen, the virus may stay with us forever, we found a cure, the cure caused heart problems ... and that's just on NBC!!  I don't watch the wild 'say anything' news!!

We don't know what the new normal will be.  It could be no large quilt shows or conventions, no stadium filled sports fans, no cruising, no international vacations, no hugging Veterans presented with a Quilt of Valor?  It's ok to grieve the old normal.  But we can also carve out a new everyday normal for ourselves.

Quilting always challenges my mind, comforts me when I'm wrapped in them,  I have something to talk easily about with my friends.  I can incorporate that into my everyday life.  More actual time in the sewing room.  If we have to share our progress online, if we have to meet on Zoom - well, I expect we can get used to that! 

I can change my exercise program from going to the pool and Tai Chi class, to walking, exercising at home.  It's not as fun - yet!  But, it gets me moving.  Eventually it will be a habit and easier to continue.  Meanwhile,  

Stay Safe and QUILT ON!





No comments: