Thursday, January 31, 2008

Take It Further Challenge


January's TIF challenge was "who you look up to"; "who you admire", "a trait you admire" or a color combo.

I took it literally - "who I look up to" - from a hospital bed. This month I elected to have my second knee replaced. I replaced the first one last January and as Dr R said, "It must have gone well, or you wouldn't be back."

I'd been seeing Dr R for 10+ years and we kept putting surgery off - til I got "older" !:>! Two years ago in Sisters I went down with no warning. That was the turning point - if they weren't reliable ... it's time.

You really put your life into the hands of a surgeon ... well, it's not to be taken lightly. Dr R is calm, reassuring, has a great bedside manner - no question is unimportant. He'll call you a wimp if he's disappointed in your progress. But also takes pride in your abilities.

Challenge: I decided to work in postcard size this year. And I've never done a fabric "portrait" before. I took a graphic off the web. Polarized it in CorelDraw to bring it down to basics. Created it in fabric. I was surprised how little room I had on the pc size. I'd planned an xray box and overhead spotlight. Let's just say that math isn't my strength!

I free-motion loop-de-looped some quilting on the scrubs and hat. I couldn't find the perfect eyeglass treatment. And of course, here I am on crutches in the middle of winter ... so when it shows up I'll update the pc.

Thanks for setting up this challenge. I look at some of the other entries and I'm overwhelmed by the artistry. Mine is pretty darn simple. But I stretched to get that far and I'm looking forward to the next 11 months.

2 comments:

Sweet P said...

That is one outstanding project. You did a great job.

Debi said...

Great block. I have also had knee surgery on both knees. Come visit my blog for my latest giveaway.

http://debiquilts.blogspot.com/2008/02/one-world-one-heart-event.html