Sunday, April 30, 2017

I Love Lazy Crazy Weekends!

Last night two friends and I watched The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks starring Oprah Winfrey.  It was great, of course!  We had read the book in book club and I have to admit, it was a struggle to get thru it for me.  I fell asleep everytime I read it.  So, I figured I just had to read it in the day, not at night and had the best mid-morning nap of my life!!  I did get thru it.

One of the book club members has a daughter in the medical field.  She was visiting when we had our meeting about the book.  She made a fruit pizza depicting the HELA cell!  That did not happen last night!  But we all enjoyed the movie, it followed the book quite well.

I had the most wonderful Sunday today.  I got a little spring cleaning done and went on an adventure too!

We have really low tides this weekend.  This morning at a very civilized time (9:45 am) it was -1.4. A friend decided that we could see if we could go onto "Secret Cove".

I'm not sure how secret it is - it IS on the map!!  See this description!!  But certainly more secret than I thought.  DH and I had been there before.  Thought we were standing on 'Secret Beach/Cove' and we'd missed it by 2 beaches!!



The trail is rugged and extremely muddy this spring.  We stomped up and down hills and valleys.  Passing very full waterfalls



We started off at Thunder Rock Viewpoint.  The trail to Secret Beach is extremely steep and downhill all the way.  So we decided to take a portion of the Coastal Trail.  Well, we didn't follow it so well and ended up looking down steep cliffs a few times!  Finally we backtracked and ended up at the rock that you have to scramble down just to get to beach level.  Not for the faint of heart.  Unsurprisingly, dogs and children race up and down this obstacle, passing anyone hesitating with just a whiff of a breeze.


Then we cross two streams, pausing at the waterfalls to the beach.  Hmmm, we've seen this stream before!  And we bypass a cave tunnel because the low tide is NOT low enough to walk thru the tunnel.  There is a great deal of wading and rock scrambling - but don't worry, it's worth it!



Finally you are at a point where it looks like the beach must end - rock all the way into the ocean.  BUT -is that light coming around the rock structure?

Yes, and it is -finally- Secret Cove.  And lovely it is!!



I, for one, will be keeping an eye on the tide chart and training for the next trip to Secret Cove.

Dear DH is golfing today, when I sent him the picture he thought it was beautiful.  I sent it to my DD too - she was amazed her almost 65 year old mom made it down and back, and lived to tell the tale.  To tell the truth - umm, I'm a little amazed myself!!

One more story.  You can see by the photos that it was grey/misty/moisty this morning.  The weather was kind enough to not drip/rain on us until we were all the way up the hill on our way to the car. So the rocks were not slick -Thank you.

However, after we got home, within 30 minutes, the sun was out and we had blue ocean the rest of the day!!!  Ahem, let's get the tide and the weather to coordinate a little bit better, please!!!


No comments: