Sunday, May 3, 2020

Trouble in Paradise!

I had dreams at the beginning of this self-isolation - Impossible dreams, of course!  It was like when I was working at the University - we pooled our minor Holidays to have the week off around Christmas.  Oh, the plans we had for that week!!  LOL!

As you know, I'm participating in the #100dayproject over at instagram.  My 3rd year and I have never followed thru to the end!  Usually I promise to work on one project to the finish.  And about a month in - I've petered out.

This year I decided to work on whatever I want to - no matter how many deadline projects are looming!!  There are several quilts I've been dreaming of for years - but never allowed myself to start.  This is the year!!  I picked scrap projects because they are my favorite and duh, quarantine!  

Plus / X quilt is one I've wanted to make. I make a block a day.  All those years, waiting, and the block takes 15 minutes!!

Funny story, though it is so-o me these days:  I studied the instructions on the web, pinned pictures of finished tops, and gathered fun fabrics.  But never looked at my notes again.  I've made 29 blocks WRONG! (Color placement) So I switched over and made 2 the right way.  
I had several plans to fix this.  
A. Scatter within the other blocks.  
B.  Use at top and bottom borders around the other blocks 

BUT they are so darn cute done right - so last night during TV I ripped the 4 squares out of 7 blocks.  They look very weird!  But I came up with a easy-looking method to resew.  Today I tested that out!!  

Two new blocks with corrected background squares

 

Since I like the New (Original) block - how can I correct the 29 I made?  Very painstakingly in front of the TV with a ripper.  It's selective, but I can resew 2 blocks together in under 30 minutes.  And that was the first go at it.  I have resewn 7 now and I know I got much faster!!  I have found that I can reuse the squares I'm taking out by using them in another block! 

So let's compare blocks before and after!

  

 
Note:  the light squares now in the block came from the block above it!

  

Ok - more pictures to compare. How do the blocks look together?


Old variation side by side


Old side by side with new


Two new blocks side by side

As you can see, the new - alright original block - sets a grid illusion over the blocks.  Very graphic!  I think I'll correct all of them to original ignored blocks! 
I'm binge watching Voyager anyway!!  Stay safe and QUILT ON!!



No comments: