Sunday, January 2, 2022

2021 - Quilting - been at it since 1974, not quitting anytime soon!

 2021  I moved, I read a lot … Let’s see, what else did I do?  Oh, yeah – I quilted every day that ended with “Y”!  Here’s some of my favorite finishes:

When my son and his family were in Panama, all their belongings were in storage.  When the Almeda fire hit, the storage unit burnt down.  No one takes winter clothes and quilts to Central America – the low temp in Panama during the 2 years was 65!! 

They lost many beloved belongings:  photos, paperwork, love letters and 27 quilts!  So first thing on my list was a new quilt for each family member – FIVE! Twin sized quilts.  Twin size is great for snuggling together on the couch!

Disappearing 9patch for my DDIL  This replaced her Master’s Degree graduation quilt. Same pattern and some of the same fabrics!



Double 4patch from my DS  This replaced his Nursing Degree graduation quilt.  I was lucky enough to find the “Nurse Quotes” at Forget me Knots Quilt Shop in Bandon Oregon.  Thanks Michelle!



Stripe Me Lucky quilt for my DGS (10)  A Jen Kingwell Group pattern.  Made with stripes, brights, superhero fabrics and Mickey Mouse among others.  I love this pattern!

                                       

Square in a Square Superhero quilt for my DGS (8)  He’s still into superheroes and this simple quilt turned out really graphic – I like that!

                        

Zig-zag Rail Fence for my DGD (4) This was the same pattern I made for my oldest DGD (15) now.  I still had some of the pink and I spy fabrics from the prior quilt.  A big hit!  In fact, she loaned it to Pancho, the chihuahua, so he would know Nana loves him too!!  But she took it back that night to sleep under!

                                  

P and I took a CraftTour to Japan in January 2020.  Jim West throws a good tour/party!  We brought back some fabrics and some food/candy wrappers and wanted to make a memory tote bag.  18 months later … it was so!  This is a big bag and heavy with the interfacing to keep the wrappers from  ripping.  But I like it already – just perfect to take a whole project to retreats!  

                        

HOME wall quilts.  I was moving; my son and his family were moving back to the US after 2 years.  We obviously needed a wall hanging to welcome us!  I had the Moda Alphabet book – mainly because of this quilt and of course, the alphabet!  So, at April retreat I started making the wall quilts.  P, my table mate wanted one too – soon we were all about “me, me, me!”  They turned out cute.  One was hanging when the Panama gang returned home.  And I just finished mine in time to hang it with other house projects. P made me promise to not tell that her's (pink house) isn't done yet!!

                                  

During the deep days of quarantine P and I worked endlessly on “My Small World” quilt by Jen Kingwell.  They were great fun but tiny pieces!!  We each made ours ‘our own’!  With family jokes, geographic references and printed initials!  There were supposed to be more NY Beauty arcs but we made a little ‘hill town’ instead.  Much easier and still cute as a button!  For the back, we started with the fabric calendars we bought at "Tomatoes".


Back

ModSquad met as often as we could, masks in place.  And after we finished last year’s challenges we moved to Improv piecing. 

Improv is a lot of fun, but we discovered a marathon of improv was much easier than an improv challenge each month.  But the end products were so diverse and fun to see in the group.  Well worth the trouble.  We had one month left after they were done … so our new assignment was a improv holiday challenge.  It could be any holiday!!  I had so much fun making improv trees. There was a wall quilt on Pinterest – I tried to make it (in an improv way, you know!)  but no worries, it turned out different and I loved the process.  I admit I have enough extra trees for another quilt twice as big!!

  



Well, it's January 2, 2022 and I feel better with the blog caught up.  I won't even tell you my plan!!  You've probably laughed enough!  I'm working on more UFOs to generate some quick finishes.  There are at least 2 retreats planned.  And wouldn't it be nice to go on a quilt adventure with Craftours??  We'll see!

Stay tuned for the 2022 adventures!  Including visiting the kids this month so we can have Christmas!!  The weather has to calm down sometime, right??

  





No comments: