Saturday, January 1, 2022

2021 – It’s a wrap

                            

 It's a wrap - and I’m kind-of glad to see it go!  Now, 2021 wasn’t as bad as 2020 but is that any way to rate a year??  LOL!  And when I read my journal to try to remember what I did since May (bad blogger, no cookie) there was a lot happening despite the COVID waves.  Still – happy to welcome 2022!

My Great Niece died in February after a two year fight with cancer.  It was so hard not to be able to attend a funeral; not to comfort each other; not to reach out.  Zoom has been the answer to many things.  But I never felt more alone or despairing as when I was watching the funeral half the country away.  

In August we moved across town after our rented condo sold – don’t let anyone tell you ‘short distance’ moves are easy!!  NOT! 

On the plus side:  We did get to see our Grandchildren a few times.  Our son and his family moved back from Central America where my DIL taught at the International School.  Everyone is glad to be back in the good old USA! And we’re glad to have them back!

Like many people during the pandemic, I read quite a lot this year.  Our library had to close to patrons due to COVID, but they developed an online request system that was put into place.  You put the book on hold; the library emailed you when it was ready; you put on the mask and knocked on the back door during certain hours!!  Sounds kind of like a hold-up, doesn’t it!?  When they were able to open up again, the building was under construction.  Personnel moved over to the annex, but the books were mostly in storage.  They basically kept the same system with online requests.  They even started a “Books in a Box” program.

We filled out a questionnaire about our tastes in books.  Then every month we received 1, 3, or 5 books – depending how many you signed up for  – that was curated by a librarian for you.  No box though!!  

Most months there was at least one that was a winner; many months all of them were winners!!  We were able to travel about by literature and kept our sanity – or what was left of it.  Thank goodness for the library!  Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Out of the 76 books I read this year – down by 12 – I blame the move!!!  These are the ones that stand out.

Hounded by Keven Hearne  First book in a series about Iron Druids and witchcraft in the modern world.  Great tongue-in-cheek sense of humor.

Ocean Prey by John Sandford  Lucas and Virgil team up in this 31st Prey novel.  John Sandford doesn’t disappoint – especially if Virgil is involved.  Enjoy!

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir  I’m fond of SciFi 😊 as long as it’s about the characters, not the technology – this was a favorite.  It reminded me slightly of John J Nance’s book Orbit - a favorite in previous years.

The First Lady by Patterson & Dubois  You know, I grew weary of Patterson with his one sentence chapters, but by supervising / collaborating with other authors – he makes them both shine!  I loved this one.  And the ones he has written with Bill Clinton

Her Last Flight by Beatriz Williams  I hadn’t heard of Beatriz but a friend recommended her.  Her attention to detail and the way the story advances makes her a winner.  Loosely based on some legends about Amelia Earhart

3 winners by Stephen King

Later                      Elevation             Billie Summers

3 books that couldn’t be more different from each other.  Each one hard to put down.  Hard Case Crime;  Science Fiction; and horror.  Thank you, Stephen King!!!

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn     The true story of a couple who lost everything and embarked on a transformative journey walking the South West Coast Path in England.  She has a second book out now – will have to check it out myself!

All Systems Red by Martha Wells  The first book of the Murderbot Series.  It looks like teen book – but language and situations are adult only!  I loved the concept and finished the series in short time.

Victim Without a Face by Stefan Ahnhem  Two men are dead.  They were bullies.  The school class picture is found with their faces X-ed out. A thick book written by a Scandinavian, yet, I read it fast!  Really good.  First book in a series.

Klara and the Sun by Kazoo Ishiguro  Light science fiction about robot ‘companions’ for children.  I’m not sure if I ever put it down!!

State of Terror by Louise Penny and Hillary Clinton  WOW!  Another page turner. Not much got done once I opened the book.  You might sleep with the light on!  Another page-turner, Penny and Clinton work well together.  Read their afterword at the end of the book.

Unthinkable by Brad Parks  A new author (to me!) and he has 7 books in a series and 5 stand alone novels.  I love his writing and the ‘insider’ jokes about his other books / characters.  Don’t you love to find a new author with books you need to read? (And the library has on shelf!)

Stay tuned for my 2nd 2021 Wrap-up.  My other favorite pastime during 2021.  You know I quilt!!  There will be pictures ....


No comments: