Thursday, August 27, 2020

Hello - waving royally - The Queen of the UFOs is in the room!

 I belong to Stashbusters online.  And we have an UFO challenge contest every year,  you finish UFOs to go to the bottom of the list.  There is usually around 70 participants.  

As other quilters go to the bottom, you work your way up.  There's a few Ladies In Waiting and a Queen of  UFOs.  (This is not really an honor!!)  

I just got an email last night that I've actually been Queen since Monday!!!  During your reign of 1 week, if you finish an UFO you can abdicate the throne; descend to the dungeons and start working your way up again.   IF you do not finish an UFO during your reign, you must mail a FQ to the royal treasury.  It's not the FQ that bothers us, it's the shame of not finishing the UFO. After you send in the FQ you do go down the list to the dungeons.


Here's what I've written to my loyal subjects so far:

Wednesday:  Arrrg!  I've just found out I'm the Queen of the UFOs ... Since
Monday???  Your royal highness is so sorry to leave my royal subjects 
without guidance.  Oops!  I’m pretty sure that I’ll be mailing a FQ pretty
 darn soon!  I just finished “Wild Thing - I think I love you” BUT alas, it’s 
not an UFO - it was started during quarantine!  Quarantine just seems like 
it’s been years!!  It really hasn't been years, at least not yet!!

More assignments, royal edicts and babbling will be forthwith tomorrow!!!
Queen doni @ Oregon coast, humbly asking for your attention at this late 
date!!!

Thursday:

Ahem - waving royally - the Queen is in the room.  A little history on your queen:  I’ve been quilting since 1974 [gasp – that IS a long time!] My grandma quilted but not by the time I came along – she was hemming diapers for the Red Cross by then because her eyes had failed.  Besides, I was too much of a tomboy to bother learning to sew from her!  My great-grandmother on my dad’s side ran a house for ‘girls in trouble’.  She kept them busy with piecework – and I’ll tell you, they were NOT passionate about it!  I found some really odd scrap quilts that were poorly made – but immediately fell in love with them.  From then on –scrap patchwork has been my favorite type of quilting! 



Here is "Wild Thing - I think I love you!"  top.  It was quilted by L, a longarmer here in Brookings.  "Finished" picture still to be taken!

 

My first quilt was 2 sheets tied together – after I made a simple frame.  Don't laugh!  My children are still using them and they have definitely stood the test of time.  Then – well, would you believe, a queen sized bedspread of baby blocks [tumbling blocks] set in a pyramid!!  I was sure it would be oh-so--much cheaper than that $200 bedspread!! LOL!!  I was simply too dumb to know it was beyond my reach!  AND my MIL’s quilting group hand quilted it with a bed sheet back!  Poor ladies!



Here is my 'booth' as Valuable Guild Member in 2018.  You can see the Tumbling Blocks quilt on the right.  Everything in the booth was made by ME!  The fabric postcards hanging on a ribbon on the right, the Nautical Stay Robin, the silk screened lighthouses of Oregon.  The Pies and Tarts on the back table and "Cat Bellies" on the side table!  Yes, that is a green bungee chair.  My good friend P loaned it to me and I charged everyone who wanted to try it out $1 - to the cookie sale just across from me!!!  The cookie chair decided she always wanted to be near me - where ever I am!!


I have learned a thing or two since then,  and forgotten a lot of information I wish I could remember.  I still love scrappy.  The more the merrier!  I'm not a 'neat sewing space' type of person!  


And you have to be a really good friend to be willing to share a table with me - I don't work well in captivity!!


One time, a friend was coming over to quilt.  We have a LARGE dining room table that seats six.  To be funny I ran a piece of masking tape at the 2/3 for me, 1/3 for you mark.  BUT the joke was on me - by the time my friend arrived, I was already spread across to her side of the table!


Ladies, start your engines, errr, sewing machines!  I will give an edit about the weekend tomorrow!


Queen doni @ Oregon coast


1 comment:

swooze said...

Hello your royal highness. Better get busy! Love your Wild Thing.