Thursday, February 9, 2012

Busy, busy, busy!!

How did I get myself into all this activity? I like to think of my life as 'retired' and easy going. I've been known to drop my plans for the day in a minute to do something else that has come up. BUT these days are way-too-busy and no time for anything!

First things first - retreat last week was a blast!! My DH has a fit about us going just 25 miles up the road - to a town that doesn't even have a quilt shop - to retreat!! He just doesn't get it - [to be fair, do any of them???] Retreats are not about the destination, they are not about the scenery - although, both of those can add to the fun!! Retreating is about 'time, like-minded people, and immersion into your hobby!'

And you can ask anyone - new friends or old - for me, retreats don't have to be about following the directions!! Old friends will be glad to know that is still the case! A new mystery quilt? For me, the biggest mystery is how I got so many UFOs!! So why not take them and see how far I can get!!

Retreat is about quilting without the usual daily distractions. No meals that have to be fixed. No wash or cleaning calling your name. Just quality time with your hobby in a room with others who are also enjoying it. When you're done for the day, you wander off, usually towards the dessert table; leaving your station just as it is. No worries about it being in the way of some SO!! Or little hands getting into trouble there.

There's no guilt about not paying attention to anyone else. No guilt about 'doing too much quilting' - just fun, laughter, brainstorming 'fixes' for quilts 'not quite what you thought they would be....' and a room full of inspiration!!

Before cell phones, retreats were about any phone ringing is NOT for you!! But it's still not many calls for you. And you can always blame the reception for hiding your phone in your purse so you can't hear it ringing!! LOL!

I'm also taking a class at the new Community College. Just a community ed class - but the college is practically across the street from us. A beautiful new facility - and I'm taking Digital Scrapbooking! There were two classes teaching Photoshop - one all business and not at the most convenient time. This one - sounded like fun and was every Tuesday night. The first night I walked in - I actually felt like I was a Brookings resident - I knew 2 people in class!!

I never really scrapbooked. So this is a new experience on all counts! I'm learning Photoshop Elements, as advertised! It's all part of my 'busy-ness'. There's a whole lot of web resources to explore, including finding the freebies! Our teacher said, "This is like scrapbooking, but you never run out of your favorite supplies!! There are a lot of self-published photo books as a result of this class -all gorgeous - we'll see if I develop one!

Jill Schumacher - a famous machine quilting teacher is coming to our little shop. I wasn't sure if I'd be in town and able to take her FMQ class - but I am and I am!! I just picked up my pre-class-homework and wow! I'm going to be busy.

FMQ is on my list to learn this year ... I've been working on it. But you know how you like to stay in your comfort zone??? Well, even as you break out of your zone, you create a new one!! The majority of the quilts I've long-armed have been done FMQ with loop de loop, star!! A new comfort zone!!

And I can justify it - working on my spacing and getting to know the new machine, you know - all those great arguments against breaking out of that zone again!! But I must - so I have high hopes with this class! Or at least creating a new, larger FMQ comfort zone!!!

No pictures this post - but next time I hope to have the 2 baby quilts I'm making for the community baby shower done-done and ready for their debut!!

Did I mention how much time is sucked up with computer!!! Love it, hate it, too easy to stay on it!! Must leave now ... LOL!

No comments: