Friday, June 3, 2022

Monthly Round Up!

A Nebraska friend reminded me I've not blogged in awhile.  So I'm going to list all my reasons at the top.

Besides the national and international news.

The Electronics Strike of 2022!  My laptop got the ick!  3 hours on shared network with our computer gal ...

We can't stream!

We're under construction - still.  They start something then walk away for a month!  Leaving us wondering if they will ever come back! PS they start something else in the meantime!

But I'm happy to report our guild's Annual Quilt Show finally happened after the 3 year hiatus we shall blame on COVID.  It was a wonderful show over Memorial Day Weekend - part of the Azalea Festival here.

The hardest part was picking what we'd put in the show and what we'd put in the 'Country Store' to clear out!

A wedding quilt was sent to Nebraska for a Memorial Day Wedding!  Whew!


My Great Nephew got married and My Sister asked me to make him and his wife a quilt.  Okay, what colors?  Grey  What for an accent?  Dark Grey, and oh, it has to have cows on it!!!  Thank Goodness she likes "turquoise" too. (Whatever turquoise is these days!!)  I got 'r dun and mailed off to get to Nebraska before the big day.  It was a hit with the happy couple!  Smiles all around (relief)!

Here's what I entered in the Quilt show:


Wild Thing - you make my heart sing  This was my 100 day challenge in 2020.  We were so busy making masks that I decided 1 hour a day I could work on something I'd put off for years - X-plus traditional blocks.  I turned it into a circus by using my wild and kid fabrics.  I like it - but seriously, it needs to be calmed down a little!


My quilt is the one on the left - yellowish orange.  It was entered in the Antique Quilt category.  They make up a whole display with antique sewing supplies.  And this year 3 of the 5 quilts were hexies!!

Years before we moved from Nebraska, I found a Hexie top at a neighborhood garage sale.  The gal 'knew' me by reputation, being a quilter.  I told her she was pricing it too cheap, and she ended up practically giving it away, knowing I'd finish it.  A quilting friend announced an opening in their hand quilting group at church - I quickly signed it up.  They loved it and called it the Bumble Bee quilt!  I foolishly didn't have them bind it and alas, it languished for a decade!  But Miss P, a great friend here in Brookings bound it for me - that's above and beyond!! And a relief that it is done!!  Thanks again P!


Last summer's Edyta Sitar's Quilt Along:  Summer Village. Three of us joined in.  Easy-Peezy pattern.  You made 1/2 a row each week.  I named it "Cherrywood Lane" after the Hand-dyed Cherrywood fabric I used.  It is one of my favorites.  It was in a large category of some stunning quilts, so no ribbon, but still lovely to see there.


It's a Small World After All - and you're welcome for getting that song in your head again!!  P and I worked on this during the quarantine (we made our own bubble)  My Small World by Jen Kingwell.  We, of course, made it our own.  We left out 4(?) of the arcs and built a little hill town on the left side instead.  It was great fun searching out motifs on our fabrics.  Adding personal details thru out.  And it kept our brains engaged during that siege!  This one won a 3rd place ribbon!

And my challenge entry I can't seem to find a picture of right now!!  Later ... I promise.

Foggy here today, but there was a surprise!  A L*A*R*G*E ship showed up at the harbor.  Of course, our harbor can't handle a ship that size, but apparently someone needed to come in.  A boat went out to get them, the Ship hung around in the fog and now a boat took that same person(?) back out - it blew it's horn and off it went!
Must learn to edit pictures more!!  

To the left of first tall tree?


On the horizon - now we're at least a mile away and the ship is probably a couple miles out to sea.  Hard to tell - nautical miles have no markers!

I'll check around, but it might be I'll never know more than that!  I was darn lucky to see the shape thru the fog - it was other-worldly!!  I'm off to see if I can get a better shot down in the port!!  I'll let you know!

UPDATE:  It was the dredger ready to dredge our harbor.  I'd seen it before from the Rainbow Rock condo balcony, but never so close!  It was huge and I expected a lot of sound and smell from the dredging ... Nada!  A happy surprise!


No comments: