Monday, July 20, 2020

Favorite Quilts over on FB - but the fun part - WHY! - is here!




Selvedge Yard  2011  

CAUTION:  Long story you might want coffee!!

Selvedges galore, Unruly lettering, I even put my practice longarm piece on the back!  2015 I sold this piece at Sisters!  Cheaply ... but still, it sold within the first few hours!

So, as an out-of-my-box experience goes - let me tell you - that quilt grew like a summer weed. Here begins the saga: years ago I started making string blocks incorporating selvedges. 6 inch blocks and they were fun. Something else came along ... distractions, many quilts, you know how it goes. 

There are 600-ish selvedges in the quilt - yes, there are repeats! And the most colorful ones came from the quilts made for grandkids and the many pair of pj pants I've made them. But there are many reproduction fabrics represented!!

I always wanted to do LazyGal's free-style 'wonky' alphabet and this was the project to do it. Those letters are fun - use a whole lot of thread and are bigger than you think they are.
I figured out my saying - hmmm - too long, shortened it and started creating. Let me tell you there were threads everywhere!! But words appeared. After I had the quote 'written' out, it was bigger than planned. [Of course, it IS that quilt!]

Revision - gonna need more blocks!! There was blank space at the end of the words - before the corners. Hmmm, I could lengthen the quote with quilted words - fill in, so to speak, but now I'm stuck with an "AN". 

Think of adjectives that start with an vowel, make lists in the middle of the night! Consult with mom over the phone. Using my own 'best' [HA! - my handwriting isn't known for it's clarity!!] handwriting I added these 'secret messages' to the quote and free-motion quilted the words. 

Think of adjectives that start with an vowel, make lists in the middle of the night! Consult with mom over the phone. Using my own 'best' [HA! - my handwriting isn't known for it's clarity!!] handwriting I added these 'secret messages' to the quote and free-motion quilted the words:

QUILTING NOT SO MUCH A HOBBY (you know) MORE LIKE AN (infectious) OBSESSION (and we love it sew!)




A & J's Wedding Quilt  2010  
I thought doing this king size log cabin quilt would get those out of my system, nope!  I'm still making mini log cabin blocks for one of my own.

This has 2 color combinations for each row and even though it was carefully drawn out ... I made 20 blocks with the wrong colors together.  "Recalculating ... "  
Wanted the Love stamp block in it to break it up, 3 of them.  Got it all laid out on the floor at Bayshore.  We all looked it over, moved a few things around and completely missed the log cabin block going the wrong way!!  Arrrrgh!

I cut the strips  2" and although finished 1.5" logs seem reasonable for a king-sized quilt - I have to admit the logs look really big! Don't ask me why! I don't know!



The Lights of Home   2006

I bought the silk screened lighthouses at Lattimer Center.  I found the lay-out on a barn quilt.   My friend, MW, helped me draw it up.  I made the quilt and R loves it too.  

The funny part about this quilt is when I was in Nebraska it reminded me of the Oregon coast.  And after we moved to Oregon, it reminds me of working on it in Nebraska!!  It's one of my DH's favorites because it's only 2 colors! 

There - we're all caught up.  Other than the blogspot problems, it's fun to look through 45 years of my quilts ... hope you're having fun too!

No comments: