Monday, June 29, 2020

Quilts of Valor - Covid-19 style

I was doing so-o well at surviving and maybe even thriving in the self - isolation ... but then, Phase 2 got busier!  Not really better, just busier. And the time seems to be going faster!

 I looked around my sewing room at the beginning of Phase 2 and actually thought, "I should just stay home awhile and get this mess cleaned up!!"  The irony hit me a split second later!!

While Phase 2 was new (and still working) we set up the appointments with our Veterans to be presented with their Quilt of Valor.  We held them outside, with limited attendance, we wore masks and were gone in 10-15 minutes.

In 2 weeks, I presented 16 quilts!  One or two presentations a day.  Three of our Veterans were from out of town.  They were nice enough to come back to Brookings to receive their quilts.  We met at the Capella; the pocket park on 101 downtown; (loud!) and a family member's house.  But have no fear - there was plenty of driving up into the hills involved.  One house was especially remote.  A friend that was along said, "If we hear banjos, we're out of here!"  But all addresses were found and Veterans given a quilt in the end.



This was our 'group block project' last year.  I got the idea out of StashLab's String Method Book.  Since we are basically making Half Square Triangles; so any Log Cabin setting works!  Our first finished quilt from that design - and they loved it!

It was fun to work directly with each Veteran. I felt I got to know them and will remember them easier.  It was more personal, less crowded and we had better photo opportunities with family members.  I took pictures with my ipad and emailed them to the Veteran each evening.



I was very careful during that time, no matter where I was.  I wore my face mask everywhere - I was determined not to be the downfall of anyone!  A friend even teased me about social distancing in my car!  Yes, I was driving (3 blocks) from one place to another, and I kept on my mask!  Wouldn't you??

Remember, I was working with a population that is at risk, yet most of them did NOT wear a mask.  I heard many times when I offered a mask to anyone needing one, "We have them, we just don't wear them."  Really???



I couldn't always talk them into wearing one.  But I kept mine on, even during photos.  One family asked if we could step back 20 feet and take off our masks so they could see who was presenting!  And at the last presentation I had a new problem.  My mask keep slipping off my ear, usually when my hands were full.  Did I sleep on my ear wrong???  Good thing it's only a 10 minute ceremony.  I fully expected the Veteran to offer some duct tape!!

I still have to complete the QOV paperwork and there are 2 or 3 more presentations to be arranged when family is all here.  But, the rush is officially over!!  I admit, our print shop owner and I are both thrilled to be done with it.  I was at the copy shop every day!

I made the certificates with a blank line to write in the date and place of the presentation. (FYI, Nobody likes their own writing!) and the signature line was for the presenter.  So those holding their own presentation, filled it in and signed the certificate too.  In total, 32 will be presented. Thank you for service.

We are the Home of The Free because of The Brave!


Thanks to a good friend who posted this on Instagram - makes me laugh while still wearing a mask!

Did you guys know the FDA just approved a medical device that reduces your chance of getting COVID-19 by 5X? Its trade name is called Wearamaskidiot. 😷👍⁣

Side effects include mild inconvenience, possible victim complex, fear of people thinking you are a sheep  (people compared to sheep in being docile, foolish, or easily led), being ostracized by your anti-vax pandemic bros, 
and the power to stop your own asymptomatic transmission 
as this country stubbornly dives right on into that second wave. 😷👍⁣

Check with your doctor, or really anyone, to see if 
Wearamaskidiot is right for you. 😷👍 


1 comment:

---"Love" said...

Those are beautiful quilts! I'm sure they will be much loved by the recipients, and I hope you will receive a special blessing for being involved in those projects. I like your idea of the new medication for COVID-19; that's a good one! ---"Love"