Sunday, August 25, 2019

My State of the Stash


I belong to Stashbusters - a Yahoo quilting group.  We're a feisty bunch and the messages can be very entertaining.  During your birthday month you write a "State of the Stash" message.  I'm a Leo!!

My DH is 5 weeks younger than me - and we've been married 47 years.  And I listened to the same bad ‘older woman’ jokes for decades!! So, a few years back, I decided if I celebrate until his birthday I don't mind the jokes!!!  It's great fun!!

I've been quilting for 46+ years!  I figured out I've never gone two weeks without quilting!  And includes cross-country moves; vacations (I used to be able to do handwork in the car!) or busy times.

I don’t buy much fabric or books anymore.  (I refuse to define “much”!!)  But I am always on the lookout for reds and blues for Quilts of Valor.  I’m chair of our group and usually make 2-3 QOVs a year.  It's not so much buying more - it's replenishing the fabric.  But it does look like I bought a bunch this year!!

Otherwise, my stash was doing so-o well, I discovered Color Block method by Stash-Lab so even the scraps were kind-of-sorta under control!  But then a friend and I joined Jen Kingwell's BOM Marshal.  We don't have JK fabric out here.  We were going to stick to stash but ... a July trip to NE for a wedding.  My favorite NE store - Quilted Moose, a Gretna NE store, carries Jen's whole line.  Oh my!!!  Let’s just say I had a “Lollie-good-time”!!

I bought a bunch, enough that the owner gave me a hug when I left the store!!!  But she usually does that, it just felt longer!!!   I did split every piece with my friend.

THEN a NE friend was having a de-stashing fabric sale on  Instagram ... Gretna is her favorite store too!  And she had a giant bundle of JK fabric.  So, we bought and split that too! Friday, I brought out the JK fabric for show and tell at my small group.  Oh my!!


Meanwhile, the sewing space has exploded!  My DH has about 3" x 6" space on the single bed to sit and tie his shoes before walks!!! And not always that much!!  Our DGS was just here - it was perfectly clean then!!!  I guess it all started when I had to "find" something!

This is just one pile of a dozen(?) on the bed!

I finally gave up on fixing my DD's wedding quilt.  15 years and it's shattered!  The bad dog ate a giant hole in it 2 years back.  Discussing it with DD and offering 3 choices, she decided she'd like a redo of the pattern using the original quilt inside for the batting.  That should make future quilt historians scratch their heads!!  Tee-hee! 




I love this pattern from the Simple Joys of Quilting.  I want to try to make a QOV with blue patchwork inside and red patchwork borders!  Or is this more madness?

Each 3 1/2" square pile is 100 squares!  I'm using all the same neutral which I am in the process of cutting.  Soon I'll be ready to sew like the wind.  

I’ve discovered several things:  Most of the blues I cut for it yesterday were the same fabrics!!

Positives

I’m a good conservator – my fabric from 90’s still viable!
I’m fairly consistent in taste!  Not buying willy-nilly!
Boy, can I pack it into the space!!
The IG (Instant gratification) monkeys are alive and well in Oregon!!

Negatives

Boy, can I pack it into the space!
Squirrel Syndrome rules!!
Small condo – what space??
Am I growing in my craft or just stagnate?
Am I a hoarder??

Only one way to help this - Must Quilt Faster!!  Please don't let Marie Condo anywhere near here!!






No comments: