Sunday, April 14, 2019

There's something about spring ...

There's something about spring ... that makes me a bad blogger!  Sorry, I don't know if it is the rainy weather; spring allergies;  the countdown to the Quilt Show; there's a million excuses!  And I've been using them all!!

But I have been nose to the grindstone all weekend!  One of my QOV quilts is done-done!  Alleluia!!  It will be presented over Memorial Day weekend - no last minute sewing for this one!!  I'm presenting a QOV today to a local veteran.  He can't come to the Memorial Day Presentation, but his family is visiting this weekend, so we're giving the quilt to him today.

AND I'm working on a "color-block" quilt for my DS's family.  Have you tried this?  I first saw it on Pinterest (trouble maker that it is!)  Since I have been saving scraps forever, they were taking over the closet space.  I had sorted them into medium boxes by color.  Something had to give.  This method has many names - the 'mile a minute' method should be easy and fast ... right??  The answer is 'kind-of, sort-of!"  




Here are some of the blocks on the Design Wall.


I'm currently working on the end of the Orange blocks.  
Red, purple and blue are finished.


20-something blocks made YESTERDAY!!


There are threads and stacks of color all over the condo!!  I did make 20-some 8 inch blocks yesterday!!  I have definitely gotten the routine memorized!  

* Sort scraps by length
* Start by sewing 2 small fabrics together
* Press and trim if needed
* Pick a scrap the right size to add
* Sew together.  You're basically making a log cabin quilt with scraps of varying widths.  There are alot of choices and variations to get bogged down with!  But it's fun to see those stacks of fabric disappear!!

Just have 3 more colors of scraps to 'block'!  Fingers crossed it will be ready to 'top' this week.

Ladies - keep those engines revving!!  Sew like the wind!

You've heard about something new ... Now let's see something that hasn't been reported yet!!

We were able to display our Mod Squad projects from last year at the library again.  This year's display was just as interesting!  So interesting that we already are committed to March 2020!!  The display cases are in the lobby and they're HUGE!  Here are this year's challenges:


 The double cases with free magazines underneath.


Challenges included 'Thread fabric', A Bird and a Word, Hide this Fabric!, and Trapunto


Displayed in second case:  Vacation, 50 Shades, Doodle Art and Mandala


The intrepid Hanging Committee!  Thanks Ladies for your help!



1 comment:

Mary said...

Nice display. Can't wait to see your QOV. I need to make one. Happy Spring!!