Monday, August 18, 2014

And as the summer zooms by ...

Hellooooo! It's been super busy at the coast, apparently, but man did that summer zoom by!  We're in the foggy section of our summer, but it's good quilting weather anyway!

Fun has been had by all. Let's go backwards ... I've been working on a top secret anniversary gift for my DD.  Definitely out of my box, but I'm enjoying it.  Let's just say thank goodness for a friend that has the same general type of project going and we're able to encourage each other.  Last friday we sat and made faces together!!  And I'll leave it at that!  Don't worry - all will be revealed when the magical date comes.

I'm also working on Mr M's kindergarten quilt.  He drew me a picture of an alligator (with some help from Miss P too!) and I'm appliqueing it to a checkerboard quilt top.  Hoping to machine quilt it next week, we'll see.  The way the time has been flying by ... well no time to dilly dally - which is my favorite activity here on the coast!

Tonight is the kick-off of the Fractured Round Robin in my Mini's group.  Hope I got the premise right!!! Cause my kit is ready and packed, but my fingers are crossed!! 4 out of 5 of us are participating and each member has each project box for one month - I'll know more about how challenging this will be after our introductions tonight!  The suspense is killing me!

The first weekend of the month I traveled up to Newport for the Annual Guild Quilt Show.  My these women are so-o talented!  The show was wonderful and I got a 2nd place ribbon on Mr D's big boy bed quilt!!  Yea!



I never expect a ribbon up there, but as DH puts it - I'm easier to live with if I do get one!! LOL!  It did put a spring in my steps!

There was a country music festival between Brookings and Newport that same weekend, so I headed to Portland to see L and the kids to keep out of the traffic.  We had fun, went school supply shopping, out to lunch with the kiddos - just the 3 of us!  And made pillows!

Google "5 minute pin cushion" or follow this link to the Youtube instructions.  I've made many of these cute pin cushions but they make darn cute small pillows too!  Just increase the squares to 6".  the kids picked their fabrics; sewed the 4 patch with their hands on top of mine; stuffed it and I finished the opening seam.  The pincushion has a button holding it together.  I got out the buttons and asked Miss P what color she wanted, here's the conversation:

P:  Where does the button go?
Me:  I showed her - in the middle.









P:  Well that wouldn't be very comfortable when I lay my face on it!!

So we didn't sew buttons on them!



On the way home I had a dentist appt down by A's house.  They were on a camping trip and it was very strange staying at their house without the boys tearing it apart!!  And 3 and 1 yr olds can do a good job of mayhem!!  A said no to worry, mayhem would be back next time!



My birthday happened to be on Martini Lunch Thursday!  These flowers were brought from a Friend's garden and they were the hit of the party!  Yep, 62 now!  Big decisions - to get the money or wait???  Stay tuned!

A friend is gathering 65 presents for her sister's 65th birthday ... and I made this mug-rug to give her.  Her sister lives in Alaska so figured bright colors and a bear's paw was needed!  Double sided and I liked it!  Hope she does!!

 

That's all for now.  I'm thinking of what to blog, even when I don't actually blog!!  But hopefully I'll be back in less than a month!!  Thanks!

2 comments:

Mary said...

You managed to get a bit of stitching in there. Congrats on the Ribbon. I got one in Utah. My First and a Juried show.

cityquilter grace said...

easier to live with if you get a ribbon? LOL....and happy birthday by the way...and wait for the $$, you'll be glad you did...me i'm turning 65 THIS wednesday, now how did i get here so fast???