Saturday, January 27, 2024

A-Hoy there Matey!!

 



It's still January!!  So why not start blogging again?  No one knows for how long ... or how often ... but I do miss it.  It wasn't just blogging I gave up.  I gave up FB, Instagram and even writing in a journal.

The problem is - I didn't realize how blogging helped me highlight the year and what was going on.  What quilting I did, and for who.  What were my favorite books ... Of course, things haven't been stellar lately and it's easier to share the fun parts.  

But here we go - here's what's happening in Brookings ... RAIN!  and more rain.  See you next year!




Just kidding!  Warning - this is going to jump back and forth, highlighting what I remember as I remember it!

We had a horrible fire season last year.  Took out our main (only) highway to the rest of the state.  Also took out electric lines over to the coast.  Highway 199 was closed for weeks.  Then just open 4 hours during working hours, with follow-me cars.  It wasn't pretty.  Now they are 'mopping up' the storms we've been having are not helping.   It's open but still likely to have up to hour delays.  Each week gets better.  Fingers crossed!  We managed to get to Portland for Thanksgiving; and Medford for Christmas.

Our daughter L works for US Tennis Assoc.  She was asked to come back again to the US Open Tournament to work with the kid's camp.  It was short notice, and Miss P wanted to go.  Mom said, "NO!  I'll be working and you are not wandering around NYC by yourself!"  P looked at her and asked, "What about Nana and Papa?"  By the time I even heard about it, the plane tickets booked and hotel reserved!! And so yes, we went!  We had a ball.  Sightseeing and Broadway marathon!!  NY is till crazy NY!  Parades at 2 am!!

Rick and I loved  And Juliet.  We had seen a scene from it on the Tony's and I said I want to see that.  Of course, we had no idea we would be going to NY.    The girls loved Six!  About the 6 wives of Henry the 8th.  6 actors were all on stage trying to prove they had the worst of it ... but 2 had been beheaded so whining didn't go as far as it could have!

Meals at Juniors; Museum of Broadway, Top of the Rock, NY Public Library, the 911 Museum, Jazz Club for dinner and more shows:  Some Like it Hot; The Book of Mormon (me & Miss P!!) We learned to avoid eye contact during the show.  Whew! 

2022 was our 50th wedding anniversary and we met all the kids in Portland for a few days together.  Then Rick threw me a surprise anniversary party in January.  The quilting friends and neighbors all met the golfing buddies at our favorite Chinese restaurant.  Cards only and believe it or not - in a small town with limited shopping we didn't get one duplicate!!  

2023 was our 51st!  Didn't even get a phone call from family!  50 = big deal  51 = Meh!  A called us 2 days later, apologizing.  I told L during a weekend call.  Knew she'd remember and feel bad so we joked about it.

Here's some quilts that I made / finished this year.  I allow my quilts to marinate a while and of course, some of them go into time-out for bad behavior.  You have to be firm with them!!

This hospice quilt is "Monkey Business" by Bonnie Hunter.  Fun - it looks like a 3 patch but is a 5 patch!  The lay-out was a killer with the 1/2 blocks problematic.



A ModSquad project finished.  DH always gave me roses.  When he was on a business trip on Valentines Day - and it happened often - he would send me roses.  Of course, there was some mystery with the number of roses in the bouquet.  He was in the south, I was in Nebraska.  Sometimes I got odd numbers - cost differential?  But it kept me guessing.


This year I made quilts for my Birth sisters and brother.  They were long over due and everyone's getting up in age.  Including me!  These pictures were taken in P's garden.  I had her take a gag picture of me holding them up from behind.  Appropriate word!!  Oh my, no one is ever going to see that!!!

Wicked Easy Pattern with blocks inserted.

Crazy 6" block Template set

Pattern Annabelle  
Remember if you want a quilt to have an accent color.  Border it with that color!!

Double Slice with plaids for my brother

This is "Long View" a pattern P and I loved.  It looks like improv - it isn't.  We started it thinking we could get the top done in a week or so ... 3 months later ...!  But fun.  We had our favorite local quilter quilt them and we hung them as one quilt in the show!


Our new Harris Hts neighbors had a new Great Grandson.  He needed a quilt.  I'd been saving this panel for years - it worked up wonderfully.


This fall M - 15 years old now - had to go in for surgery.  8 hours with 2 surgeons - it was scary for everyone.  He's back in school and doing well.  There's follow-up scheduled - they will be keeping their eye on him for the next year.  Thanks to all who participated in our prayer chain.  We could feel it.

My sister N passed in December.  She had been fighting problems for a long time and finally went into Hospice.  We all miss her so much, but know she is no longer in pain.  I couldn't get back for her funeral: the holiday traffic and storms.  Hope to go back next spring for her birthday celebration.  She was a good gal who is missed.

You'll have to wait til the next time for good books in 2023.  And I know I'll remember more things I'll want to share.  Thanks for your patience.




No comments: