Thursday, July 3, 2014

Oh dear - time flies!! Here's what keeps me busy this summer!!



Happy 4th Of July!!


It seems this summer is especially busy!  I keep putting off projects until 'next week' when it will surely slow down.  It doesn't!!  After my last post - yikes! almost a month ago!! [Bad blogger! No biscuit!]

After the Memorial Day Weekend Quilt show but before my Portland trip we decided the kids could come home with me for a visit.  School was getting out on the day I arrived!  All you Nanas out there know how much prep-work is needed to have small guests - especially if they sleep in the sewing room!

Major cleaning of that area.
Special activities lined up, movies ordered!
Special grocery shopping
Other duties as thought of!!

I was able to see "Once" the Tony-winning musical of last year with my DD.  We were up in the rafters but as always a great time.  While we were all together, we had to go get Menchies - it's close enough that we can walk from their house.  Good thing I don't live up there!!  I meant Portland, but I'm really thinking - good thing I don't live that close to Menchies!!  Or I'd live THERE for sure!  They already recognize me!!

                 

I drove the kids back from Portland all by myself!!  DH and I usually 'tag-team' the grands.  But Miss P is 7 and Mr M is 5 so it's pretty easy these days.  A 6 hour drive (without stops) turns into a much longer drive, but it went extremely well.

Here are the stops I recommend between Portland and Brookings!!

Gas and snacks, of course!!

Elkton - Butterfly Pavilion.  It's free.  A greenhouse that they hatch butterflys.  We didn't see any but we saw the caterpillers; the eggs; the larva and the flowers!  They were very kid-friendly and we sat at the picnic tables and ate popcorn and apples for a snack!

North Bend - Visitor's Center playground. This is the old fashioned playgrounds that we grew up with. Swings, merry-go-round and a fairly high slide!  Sand based so we had to dump shoes out before getting back into the car - and I managed to leave one of  Mr M's BRAND-NEW shoes in the parking lot!!  Oh dear!  I did keep track of two kids, and 3 of 4 shoes!!  A few phone calls from Brookings and leaving my contact info ... I'm happy to say that we were able to collect it on our way back to Portland - and we had a spare pair for him to wear!!  It was so funny getting the call from the desk.  "Oh, you found my shoe!"  "Well, I don't know if it's yours!"  How many kid size 12 black shoes with bright green stripes and a marbled sole do they find???"  Just to be safe, I carried in the mate to claim it!!

Port Orford - Prehistoric Gardens This is a campy little 50s style park.  Statues of dinosaurs built to scale from skeletons.  Miss P had been there before and I was a little worried that she would be bored.  Didn't happen!  They had a ball.  The park really knows how to engage kids.


First while standing at the window you get a peanut to feet the jays; squirrels, and chipmunks who are happy to see you!!  Then they give the kids a map to follow.  With pictures of the dinosaurs.  Then there's the footprint signs pointing the way!  They went thru it twice at top speed!! Both having a really good time!

Then home - a simple 8 and 1/2 hours later!!  Followed by a fun-filled few days before we headed back up the hwy to meet their Dad at the Newport Aquarium.  What fun we had - those two are whirling dervishes - and they slept 11 hours every night!!  Thank goodness!!   Thanks for the good time, kiddos!!



I volunteered to have cards this month - cuz it was going to be such a slo-o-ow month, don'cha know!  Then 3 of us quilters decided to have a garage sale together - how hard could it be???  Yep, I'd forgotten how hard!

Then Habitat for Humanity is raising money with a Quilts in the Garden tour.  A friend of mine is the chair and of course, I volunteered some quilts, and a raffle quilt!  Just turned them in today - still smoking from being bound, of course! This is the raffle quilt I made.  Turned out so cute.  It's an old pattern by Pieces from My Heart.  I usually make it with antique button flowers ... but found those large bright flower buttons at JoAnns [on sale too!] and had to step up my colors to keep up!  I hope it does well at the auction - all the extras for sale are gone - in a flash!  Darn cute and too cheap is that lesson!



Then the library called,  Friends of the Library is having a display of wall quilts in the meeting room.  She had a list of my quilts, which she saw in the show that she wanted!  She mentioned some people had said no - so I sent 7 quilts total, for fill-ins if needed.  I'll just pick up anything you don't use - they're all hanging!  And they Look G*O*O*D!

Last weekend went over to Medford to babysit for A&J2 for a night out and to see the Medford Quilt show.  And I'm sticking to that order of importance too!


Those boys - D is 3 and K is 1- are so busy; it's impossible to get them to sit still for pictures!  But a Nana has to do what a Nana has to do!  This was the best of a series of 20!!  Had great fun Sunday morning in Lithia Park while it was still cool.  Thanks for the good time, kiddos!

Here was my favorite quilt in the show - houses!!  I know nobody is shocked!!

                       



Saturday is the garage sale ... I'll have to post pictures of what I'm selling later - alot more work to do!!

So "Happy Independence Day!"  Who else always watches that movie every year??  It's always good!

No comments: