Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Spring has Sprung!!

I finished the binding on my spring challenge last night.  It did not go smoothly! Years and years of experience binding and well, here were the problems!

I chose a light green plaid but had under a FQ of it.  It’s a small quilt - no problem, right?  But I cut an inch with the selvedge ... and then. I read the ruler wrong and cut it too thin.  So I had 5 seams for the binding the quilt.

Did I mention I was using the back of the fabric for the front of the binding??  That’s easy, right?  Not so much.  I ripped out 3 times and 2 partial seams - because I tended to automatically set it as usual.  Sometimes I discovered it after a few stitches!  My language became shocking!!!

I used a 3/8” seam - but I didn’t cut the binding wide enough for the corners to look good.  That’s okay - I can rip it off; trim the quilt just a little, use the usual 1/4” seam allowance.  It will be fine.

Do you trim your corners as you bind?  I do and there was a divot in my binding!  Okay.  I picked a new green binding, used the right side.  Cut it wider and lengthwise - just one seam!!  Smooth as silk - finally!!  LOL!

TA-DA!  Here it is!!


That’s a lot of quilting, don’t you think!!  As I was working on it for 2 different bindings, at night I folded it in half on top of my supplies - keep it out of the way of my insomniac DH.


It might be a cool book cover in a later life!!

Next project is bind a QOV.  I cut the strips last night, I’ll be using the front of the fabric so hopefully my brain will be working.  There is many more strips than 5 to join!

Stay safe and QUILT ON!!


1 comment:

---"Love" said...

That's a cute little quilt, and yes, that is a lot of quilting! I also clip the quilt corner when I turn the corner with the binding. Have a happy day tomorrow! ---"Love"