Sunday, March 15, 2020

It's not raining right now .... hope I didn't jinx it!




It's not raining right now ... hope I didn't jinx it! And that makes it a little easier - at least we can take a walk outside.  We've yet to come across anybody else out there.  DH just came back from a walk and brought me this picture just in time to share it with you!! Thanks Honey!

A friend emailed me that she had given up on a book and moved on to the next. I do the same thing, now ... it's amazing to me.  I almost always finished a book I'd started, even if it was like pulling teeth! (antique analogy!)  But once I retired ... I just quit if the book's not talking to me!!  I've quit on the 3rd page; and I've quit on the next to last chapter!!!  AND I don't miss it!!

Yesterday a British spokesman said, "You're not self quarantining to avoid getting the virus, you're staying home so you don't give it to someone else."  Feels less selfish!

There's no sports on and that's a problem for our household!!We started binge re-watching HBO's The Sopranos.  Tony's mother is such a hoot!  I won't say who she reminds me of ... but we laugh and laugh at her antics!

I've been reading an international book on Hoopla - can't recommend it but it was the last book I needed to finish the whole bingo card-adult reading challenge-from the library. 

The Great Chetco New Year's Resolution Reading Challenge - bingo card

Books published before 1990  Summer of t Dragon  Elizabeth Peters
Author name starts with P  A Small Town  Thomas Perry (love his Jane Whitefield series - a one woman Native American Witness protection program)
Romance Theme  Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn
Female Protagonist  Synapse by Steven James
Country you'd like to visit  The Dry by Jane Harper
Book from New Shelf  Beginner's Guide to Japan  by Pico Iyer
Librarian Recommended  Quiche of Death by  M C Beaton 
Asian Author  Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
1950 -70 timeline  Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher
Book Published  in 2019  Neon Prey by John Sandford
Never Read Author  Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips
Biography  Educated by Tara Westover
Friend recommended  Where t Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Reread a book  A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow
Mystery novel  I found you by Lisa Jewell
Translated book  T Adventures of China Iron by G C Camara
Hugo Award Winner  Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Romance Theme  Virgin River by Robyn Carr (watched the Netflix series too!)
NYT Best Seller  The Institute by Stephen King
Young Adult  T Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (saw new movie too!)
Male Protagonist  Bloody Genius by John Sandford (love Virgil Flowers!)
Author died in my lifetime  And then there was none by Agatha Christie
Graphic Novel  Black Canary: Ignite by Meg Cabot? 
Novel in Oregon  Dies A Fire S M Stirling

-BINGO!-

You can call in check out requests to our library, they are open afternoons, and they will bring out the books to your car!!  What series would you like to reread, start at the beginning and read all the way thru?

I'd pick
John Sandford series - Prey, Virgil Flowers ...
S M Stirling?  Dies the Fire  SciFi series, end of the world based in Oregon
Janet Evanovich might be uplifting!!  One for the Money - I think she's on 26(?) now
Sue Grafton  A is for Alibi with Kinsey

I've always been a voracious reader! What were your favorite authors?
Clear Back in the 70s !!  I loved 

Mary Stewart, This Rough Magic  (international romance mystery)
Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody -female archaeologist in Egypt)
Dorothy Gilman  (Mrs Polilfax - sr citizen occasional CIA agent)
Stephen King - but he might be too prophetic for now!

Come to think of it - all those but Stephen King are my self-named "Adult Nancy Drew" series.  I love a Feisty Gal in charge mystery, doesn't everyone??

Well, the sun is still out - at least peeking from behind some clouds.  Going for a walk!!  Stay safe!

No comments: