Friday, July 24, 2020

Quilt Stories!!! I seem to save them up into batches!



This was another hunt for fabric that lasted years!  I saw this pattern on a Swedish quilting website after following the link from Pinterest.  

It was a baby quilt! Oh, Baby! my bin of 'conversation prints' was overflowing and it was such fun to use some of my favorite fabrics!

SL in Scrap Happens called text fabrics "conversation prints" and the name stuck.  Kind-of like 'Beige-ings"!

And of course, I had to buy bright fabrics to go with it!  I use this on my side of the bed in the winter!   And Oregon summers!!  It's my second quilt RIGHT NOW!!

The back is a nautical print that didn't work for a QOV back. 



Spring Strippy  2008

Evening Stars Workshop had a block exchange of the churn dash blocks. Then I was in a "strip of the month" club led by a good friend of mine. I'm sure I drove her nuts! But she never said a word!. [Thanks, M!]

The first month's assignment was "half-square triangles" - that's churn dash! 

The next was "square in the block" - ha! churn dash!!!

Well, you get the picture - if churn dash fit the description - there it was! [I had a lot of the blocks!] I even had a row of churn dashes left over - [they ended up on the back!]

I thought the extra row made the quilt too long for the width and didn't want to deal with redesigning it. That's probably why it had a l-o-o-n-g incubation / Time Out period as UFO.

As you know, if you came here via FB.  Miss JJ is now the proud owner of this quilt.


Kinsey's Whimsy Wall Quilt - Literary Challenge  2007
Just 27 x 27

Lincoln Quilt Guild had a "Literary Challenge".  Pick a favorite book or character.  Make a quilt that character would like.  It was a great challenge - so many different interpretations.  I chose the Sue Grafton alphabet mystery series.

I used nickel squares (Kinsey was very thrifty!) in a Bento Box pattern.  I picked bright "California" fabrics and loved making it.  I used it for years as my picture online.

Edyta Sitar was just beginning her quilting career - or I just found her!  And she said - against all Quilting Rules - that you CAN put quilting fabrics and batiks in the same quilt!!  So I did!  and I never stopped from that moment on!


 Oregon Lighthouse Wall Quilt - the Challenge  2006  40 x 40

I found some mini lighthouses on our Oregon Trip one year.  Quilters Corner Quilt Store in Port Orford had had a challenge with them.  The entries were on display and Halleluiah!  They still had the silk-screened lighthouses.

There was a challenge in Lincoln guild too, so of course, I incorporated them into that theme.  I liked it - but when I hung it up in my cubicle at work ... there was a whole lot of sighing and begging for it.  JJ has an August birthday too, so I gave did it to her ... eventually!

Hmmm, I do love that Bento Box setting.  I have another challenge this year for Brookings Guild ... hmmm!

We're getting to the end of the FB challenge - but this has been a whole lot of fun to pick out favorite projects and review them again.  What do you think of "Quilt of the Week"???  Let's see I'd have enough to publish them for a decade or more!!  LOL!  We'll see!

Have a great weekend and stay safe!

2 comments:

Mary said...

That first Quilt looks like Amy Smart's Comfort Quilt. I have it started. Nice to see your finishes.

Mary said...

That should be Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side. Oops!