Saturday, August 1, 2020

Some more quilt stories that are my favorite

Blogspot has changed photo selection - Arrrgh!  But I found this wonderful photo of my Great Niece N and Granny (my mom).  N is back home after a hospital stay.  I know Granny is watching over her - their spirits are so alike.  God bless you, N.


When I started making QOV, I thought, "Well, this is a good program, but I've got veterans in my life that I want to make a quilt for first.  My DBIL was one of the first 3 recipients.  I was afraid that it wouldn't go over well, but of course, it did.  He loved his quilt.  And we love him!


A spring challenge (loosely interpreted!)  It now belongs to our local Habitat.  They hang it at their Annual Garden Tours!  Can you find the bunny?


This little scamp moved in and used the wall quilt I was binding as her new quilt when I went to make her bottle!!  Mom and Dad's Blue and White wedding quilt on the back of the couch.



Reminisce by Lori Smith.  Challenging but oh-so-worth-it!!!  Scrap Happens, our Lincoln NE small group all made the border blocks to exchange.  We didn't all finish at the same time, but the ones that were ready (a year past deadline!) hung in our guild show.  Exciting to see them all in a row!  And no - they did not look alike, in fact, we couldn't convince some people they were all from the same pattern!
 

I love this July wall quilt.  I adapted a pattern, to make it bigger and I love it.


We used the Blue and White wedding quilt pattern to make a "get well soon" quilt at South Shore in Newport.  Fun working with  non-sewers.  But it turned out awesome!  Tied, not quilted for comfort.


Starry Starry Night.  Variation of a Red Wagon pieced star.  I was laying this one out at a small group quilt meeting in Lincoln NE.  I had all the stars lined up all in a row and MJ, a neighbor looked at it and twisted a star, and I almost fainted!!  But she convinced me they 'twinkle' when mixed up.


A challenge at the Brookings guild.  We all wrote a technique and each month we pulled one out of a lunchbag!  We started with a center block, then drew paper piecing, applique, words, triangles and squares!!  My friend had a new embroidery machine and sold me these lovely vintage nautical blocks that are in the top and bottom borders.  The poem adapted by a poem, 'If You've Ever Lived on a Island' embroidered around the center:

If you ever lived by the ocean; if you ever lived by the sea,
When you return inland, your spirit will have been set free.
If ever you've heard the sea gulls, the waves,a foghorn, the winds,
then you've heard the song of the ocean and the peace it sends.  ... so true!


A flying challenge at Brookings.  I asked my Grandkids what should be on it.  Airplanes, obviously, birds, bees, hot air balloons ... then we got silly!  The house from 'Up', Superman, Mary Poppins ...  Most of these are cancelled stamps, some pictures of stamps (there was a deadline!)  Blocked with very heavy boxes sitting on top of it - because it couldn't be washed, of course!

Leftover blocks from A&J's wedding quilt.  I sewed them up and used it as a charity quilt for Soroptimists!

Mr D with his big boy bed quilt.


Next time ... back from the quilter ... The PlusX Covid quilt!!  How Exciting!!

No comments: