Saturday, April 9, 2022

Quilt Fest Part 5-6

 It's spring - even on the calendar now - and I'm enjoying the fresh breezes (when it's not a gale!)  And the flowering trees and bushes.  We're having a quilt show in May for the first time since 2019.  I'm even enjoying the rush toward that.

Quilt Fest -  last 2 groups - maybe I'm getting tired of answering or maybe I never saw anyone else's answer of these - at any rate - let's finish it off!!

Most Loved Quilt:  Now that's a hard one.  I love Holiday / Seasonal quilts because each year when you get them out to display, it feels like seeing an old friend again!  I actually forget about them between seasons!  Yeah, I'm worried a little about that too!

 

But I do have my 'comfort' quilts too.  For the last few years it's been "Shhh - it's low volume"  This quilt was shown on the web.  A quilter in a Scandinavian country was making it - I had to have it!!  I'd been collecting neutrals "Beige-ings" is the nick-name for them.  And 'conversation' prints - their name before 'text' fabric,  Anyway, I loved adding my few bright fabrics for the pluses.  And collecting brights for the next ...

It's been my extra quilt on my bed for a couple of years now.

Quilts in the Wild:  I never saw anyone's post to this prompt.  But ironically, when I give away quilts that have been languishing in the closet - I call it "releasing them into the wild!"

New Skill:  I wish I could say it's organization!  But, alas, still trying to correct bad habits - unfortunately, ignoring resolutions is one of my bad habits!!

Whoops:  Over the years, I have to say I have not gotten better at actual counting during prep work!!  What does that mean, you ask?  

I'm famous for having twice the number or half the number of components needed!!  I think it all comes down to dividing the block into the sub-units and then getting the 'blocks' counts mixed up.  I just go with it, grumble when I'm under and giving the extra away when I don't feel like making another one with them!

Binding Technique:  Boy, I'm struggling with this right now.  My Janome, after a decade, bit the dust during COVID.  It had the best little stitch to machine bind.  It took a 'divot' to the left; a stitch forward; and a divot to the right ... repeat.  It made a sturdy hem stitch which was very forgiving - it didn't create a solid line, it was softer to the eye.  My new Ever Sewn Quilters' Edition has many things going for it, but not this stitch.  Darn! I'm trying to find a replacement I can live with.

Current WIP:  Oh boy, I'm in a mess with this one.  I have 5 family quilts planned for this year - 3 tops are finished and 2 almost so - (one is in time out!)  And only one is going to be quilted by a long-armer.  How I'm going to get those other quilted and out, well I'm still pondering that.

Texture:  I get my Texture fix from wool applique and simple embellishments.  I love doing that, but I back away from 'fussy' techniques.  Partly because my hands have become problematic at 69 years old.  I can't hold small parts securely anymore - so working with a large amount of - let's say, ruching is problematic.

Favorite Finish:  I love making Quilts of Valor, a national association. (QOVf.org)  I love seeing 80 yr old veterans looking like they are going to start jumping up and down like a 3 yr old when they receive their quilt.  I'm an active member of our local chapter and usually make 2 QOV quilts a year.  It feels like you are actually making a difference in somebody's life.  I won't start preaching their cause, but check into it - it makes such a difference in someone else's life and in yours!

Must Make:  While, once again, following some program to organize the chaos that is my sewing room ... I admitted to hundreds of WIPs.  A WIP is a quilt in progress.  Although, in this case, they counted projects that you have the supplies, or the pattern worked out, or you've become obsessed with even if not a stitch has happened yet.  So I claimed all the ones on my extensive lists (I love a good list!) but I did explain I didn't count all the ones on my Pinterest Pages!!  

Right now I'm inactively working on(!?) Monkey Business by Bonnie Hunter; StashLab strip projects; several quilts in line for quilting; #scrapsnap - 4 color sets cut; new small holiday wall quilts for the gallery wall ... but wait - there's more!!!

And Many Many UFOs too!

Favorite Post:  I love the small modern quilts people are making and often selling on IG.  I started "ModQuad" 6 years ago.  A local group of quilters exploring the modern quilt techniques.  And I love the graphic statement a quilt can make - always have.

Thanks for putting up with me waxing poetic about my life in Quilting.  I hope I'm 'preaching to the choir'.  I can't imagine it not in my life.  My kids complain about being buried in quilts.  But I was told the baby quilts are still hauled out when we're not feeling good.

When my DS & family were in Panama for two years, their storage unit was destroyed by the Almeda Fire.  They lost 27 quilts.  Does anyone that isn't a quilter or isn't related to a quilter even have 27 quilts?  I replaced 5 of them last year to welcome them back home.

Quilting keeps your mind busy - and no, I'm not referring to that 'where did I put my scissors' problem! Creating and organizing ideas; putting ideas into action; involving all levels of the brain - it's got to be good for you.  Being that involved in life.  Not just sitting like a bump on the couch.  Although, we do do plenty of sitting too!  It has been a good life.  People I love know I love them - they have proof in the quilt gifts.  People I hang out with share my interests.  We always have something on the burner and are busy sewing, laughing and living.  How can you resist?  I can't!!

No comments: