Friday, April 1, 2022

Instagram Quilt Fest Part 4

The wind was whipping thru here yesterday.  Almost felt like I was back in Nebraska - but of course, that wind was either 100 degrees or 30 below!  

Quilts of Significance:  I started quilting in 1974 - a denim patchwork quilt with hand embroidery on it for my son!!!  Yep, a definite case of not knowing what I was in for!!  But it wore well and I even 'updated the backing' for his first son!  Good memories all around.  Honestly, all the first quilts made were significant for the lessons learned, the enthusiasm building and being able to say, "I Made it!!!"


In 1997 I made  'School Daze' for ME!  Our youngest was graduating from HS.  She used to be in the jump rope club!  This pattern tugged at my heart!  It was definitely the end of an era.  My good friend asked where my son was on the quilt.  After hemming and hawing I said, "Probably behind the school smoking!"  We got the giggles so hard that we just had to applique smoke rings!  And of course, I'm glad my DS has a sense of humor - when we told him, he just laughed along with us.



In 1998, Linda Brannock of Red Wagon Quilts, came to teach at our retreat.  She's very good and I love her folk-art style.  But I remember her saying, "Just because designers make the quilt a certain size, you certainly don't have to!!"  The whole room went still, hearts a-flutter and brains working thru it!!

                  


I loved one of Red Wagon designs, a donkey pulling a cart, but it was huge.  So I went right home and made a "Small Fall Wall" 22 x 28"  And I still love it that size today!  

My last "significant quilt" that comes to mind was made in 2018.  "Welcome to the Neighborhood".  My friend and I followed the QuiltMania Mystery quilt by Yoko Saito.  I love houses, so this was a pleasure to make.  But ... we didn't like the final design. (Sorry, Yoko!)  




First of all, what village doesn't have a school??  Then, you have to square it out and then you get silly and fill in a spot with a cheater fabric house!!  True! There was a lot of rearranging and redesigning the neighborhood.  A good friend, long armed it for me.  She put in all the little details that we brain-stormed and it turned out gorgeous.  

It won the First Place Ribbon in the Azalea Quilt Guild Show in Brookings Oregon, First Place in the Newport Oregon Guild show AND was accepted into PIQF - the Pacific International Quilt Festival in Santa Clara.  No ribbon, but seriously, accepted into an international show??  My first time! 

Workshop / Class:  Well, you read about a class with Linda Brannock above, I've been fairly lucky to be able to take classes.  Paula Nadelstern came to the New Jersey Guild I belonged to.  She told us about having her sewing space on the kitchen table in the NY apartment.  And to always wear clothing that matches your project ... we were trying to think why - eye strain??  Nope, so the threads don't show as much!

Jo Morton is a great teacher in Nebraska.  I took a few classes from her.  Love her style and the fabric she designs.  I have quite a few of her books.

Bonnie Hunter is an entertaining teacher.  Queen of scrappy.  Great sense of humor.  At a Portland Conference she told us, "Don't be worried about 80+ pieces in the block - be excited!!"  And don't you worry - most of her blocks aren't that 'crowded'.

Pam Holland taught us on a CraftTour Cruise.  I love her style and her art is amazing.  Sue Spargo is so-o talented and patient.  She will demonstrate a stitch to group after group without making you feel that you're bothering her.  AND both Pam and Sue have those wonderful voices that is so soothing to listen to.

One of my favorites was a class with Jinny Beyer.  It was after a CraftTour cruise and we were making a block with diamonds.  During the class, while teaching us and walking around she actually hand sewed 2 blocks!  Then raffled them off to benefit Libby Lehman.

Thread:  I'm not as picky as some quilters about thread.  The poly - cotton debate doesn't sway me!  I first started machine piecing with Molnlycke thread.  It's poly but right weight and not much fuzz.  They were bought out by Mettler and that's what I usually use for machine piecing.

Shhh!  Don't tell anyone - not fond of Aurifil,  And silk sewing thread just makes me sad about the state of my cuticles!!

I like DMC thread for machine applique.  I match it to the fabric color when I blanket stitch applique.  They have a million colors that stay consistent in dye color.  If you have an embroidery thread that you'd like for machine stitching - it's the same number!!  and vice-versa!

Machine quilting I like King Tut.  Hand Quilting, my preference is YLI. 

What was I thinking?:  Most of those 'grab a Mike's Hard Lemonade' moments are all about deadlines.  I need to add a week (month?) to anything I think I can get done.  I used to add 10 minutes to any drive - to get out of the driveway!

Favorite Step:  Definitely the moment the top comes together.  The design shows, the colors interact.  I almost swoon!  It's not a great time to love - a lot of work yet to get done!  But better than some friends who love the shopping the most!!!  

Here's some tops, patiently waiting to be finished.  Okay, maybe not SO patiently!  For some of them, it's been years of neglect.  And I love them all!!!

 

 

Today I was working on putting up a design wall.  We got 2 wall insulation panels from Home Depot.  1/2 x 4' x 8'.  First problem was my ceiling isn't quite 8' tall.  So, laying a cutting mat on the floor; getting out the exacto knife and a rotary blade ruler - check!  Problem solved.  I then covered the cut edge with packing tape.  There were just enough Styrofoam dribbles on the floor to drive me crazy.

Then I tucked the flannel wide backing under the edges to take out any slack.

Why do hardware store clerks always make you feel like an idiot?  Next time I'm taking a photo and showing them.  I just wanted a few nails (boxes of 100!) to secure the panels to the wall.  I don't need them to fly off when the window is open!

I'll let you know how the saga ends! 




1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm so glad we met at that Workshop with Bonnie Hunter. The QM Block Party was a highlight of my Quilting journey. She really is a Great teacher. I met Jo Morton at the same event. Love her designs, but Hand stitching is not my favorite thing to do. Thanks for sharing your part in the Quiltfest on your Blog. Happy Quilting!