Sunday, March 27, 2022

2022 Instagram Quilt Fest

 Are you ready for Part 2??

Quilting Origin:  As I alluded to ... my Grandmother and her church group quilted before I was born.  When I was old enough to be interested, my grandmother's eyes were bad, but she still hemmed diapers for the Red Cross and told me the stories!  

AND I was too much of a tom-boy to sit and learn quilting.  I started 'quilting' when we moved to Minnesota in the energy crisis!!  First quilt was because I wanted a new bedspread for our new bedroom in our new house.  

While I was waiting for that to get finished, (top in time out or at my MIL's to be hand quilted) I bought sheets at the Mpls Outlets; built my own frame, bought batting and tied those sheets together for warmth!  

Let me tell you - they wore like iron!!  My niece had one at the cabin that lasted much longer than it ever should have!!! - Decades longer!!

Lesson Learned:  Way too many to even remember!  

  • Remember to keep all fabric, directions and pieces and parts together until it is done-done!
  • Give yourself time before the deadline to figure out anything
  • Prewash your fabric!!
  • Anything that can go wrong will go wrong if you're in a hurry!
Scrappy Finish:  Scrappy start, scrappy middle, scrappy finish - it all goes!!  I love scrappy.  If 2 fabrics don't blend - add 50 more!!  If you have extra units when the top is finished - add them to the back!  Makes me smile every time I make my bed!

Coveted Quilt:  The comments I've seen usually involve a quilt they made and gave away.  I've made quite a few for my Mom that dispersed to family after she was through with them.  A small lighthouse quilt that I gave to a coworker that I 'infected' with the quilt bug.

 




I enjoyed making my DS's wedding quilt.  Rainbow scrap log cabins.  Recreated the "LOVE" stamp and put 3 of them in the top. Looked great - unfortunately it was destroyed in the Almeda Fire.  




There was one other wedding quilt - free pattern by P&B Textiles "Classical Elements and Illustrations"  Fun to put together, very graphic.  Mailed it to them, never got a thank you!  (Kids these days!!!)  But I knew they had gotten it - saw it in a FB post once (no mention of the quilt maker ...)  They divorced and I'm sure it got donated to Goodwill or was burned in a barrel!!  I'm kind-of afraid to make another one for a wedding quilt??  Bad karma??



Upcycling:  I love using old jeans and plaid shirts in quilts.  And who doesn't love old buttons and clothing tags?  Being a scrap quilter - I couldn't even guess how many old clothes have been cut up and incorporated into a project!!

That's it for the day.  Been busy here making Ukraine blocks and trying to get caught up in general.

See you all next time!


No comments: