Saturday, November 13, 2010

Told you I'd get back on schedule!!

First - this is a picture I took from our balcony after watching an airplane do this silly maneuver! I title it "what the heck was he doing!! The doe-see-doe??"

Today is busy! Brookings is having their annual Holiday Fair. And I'm sitting with the raffle quilt this afternoon. The raffle quilt is gorgeous so that should help, but our guild has been loosing money and tough times on the coast doesn't help. We are boosting raffle quilt donations by having a special: Buy $10 worth of tickets and pick a free gift; $15 and you get two! The 4patch wine glass coaster is the majority of gifts; but some of my sweatshop pin cushions are available too. Hopefully, it will help boost sales. It would be just too sad to have the guild fold when I move here!!

I need to get myself in gear. Mr M turns 2 next week - we'll celebrate on Thanksgiving - and his big boy quilt is not done. I've been playing with an adaptation of a F&P Eric Carle quilt in Sept. 2010's issue for the 2nd quilt. [Why, oh why, did they buy bunk beds????] But I'm not happy with it. So put number 2 out of my mind and got the final border on number 1 and the back ready to baste.

Hope to have our beautiful weather [66 Friday!] continue over the weekend so I can get it framed and spray basted outside. Our condo is WAY TOO SMALL to frame a twin quilt inside!

Then I finally got busy on the round robin quilt that's due MONDAY!! We had one less week this month between meetings because of Thanksgiving in two weeks - and I SWORE I was not going to wait til the last minute on these ... yeah, that's the way MOST of my resolutions go!! LOL!

The middle block of this one [there are 5 participants in our group] is a silk-screened lighthouse, I'm the first round, I 'paper-less paper-pieced' a 'ice cream cone' border around it. Happy with the 3 sides I have done. But afraid I have to hit the quilt store today for some varigated thread to machine quilt Mr M's quilt and some pinkish-red batik for the round robin. Blue batiks came in the kit but we could add other colors. I think adding colors should start in the first border ... but I only have a few batiks in my stash and all are blue!! No help here!

I'm happy to say my 2nd new pair of glasses arrived Friday. Got new glasses in September and couldn't see a thing in them!! Of course, I got them up in Portland - we're there so often and there isn't much choice down here! And what could go wrong?? LOL!

Picked them up - are they going to work?? 'Madam [really???] - there is a breaking-in period!' Ick - back twice in three days - adjustments - but then I had to come home.

Three weeks later - yea, these aren't working!! Dizzy all the time, can't see to sew. So back up to Portland. After HOURS between the eye doctor and retail area at LensCrafter(!?) it was decided I needed to have them remade. So for the last 3 weeks I've been making do with old glasses or reading glasses - headaches every day! [I don't know what happened to the ones I was replacing - they look like they'd been drop-kicked off the balconey and kept falling off my face every time I looked down!!]

The new-new ones arrived yesterday, I gingerly put the them on - wowza! was our computer screen that crooked before?? ... but I got used to that and I could see to sew again!!

All day - without a headache!! Happy Days are here again!!


Over the last 3 years ... R has been perplexed why I can't get an over-king-sized quilt made to his very particular specs done [men!!!] But this fall, I did it!! LOL! Right there in Pottery Barn was exactly what he'd been talking about!! So I ordered it, it looks great and he's no longer crabby about it!! I refuse to feel guilty about it!! You too can have this awesome quilt!!!

No comments: